[PLUG] Current state of Linux voice recognition

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Jun 29 02:23:06 UTC 2017

On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 16:39:16 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

>On Wed, 28 Jun 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
>> Human languages all have a unique phonetic inventory, that is, all
>> the individual sounds of the language. English has 41 - 43 phonemes
>> (depending on your dialect), ...
>
>   Does this include Brooklyn and New Joisey?

Oh yes!

Most Portlanders have 41 phonemes, but people in Brooklyn have 42,
because 'cot' and 'caught' are pronounced with different vowels in
Brooklyn, but in Portland those two vowels have merged into one. This
is called the 'low back merger,' or sometimes just the 'cot-caught
merger.'

As for New Jersey, they also have 42, for the same reason as in
Brooklyn, although their most salient difference is the substitution of
the diphthong [ǝi] for syllabic r [ɹ̩], so where I say Jersey as
[ʤɹ̩zi] they pronounce it as [ʤǝ͡izi]. Note that their diphthong is
uh-ee, not oh-ee.