[PLUG] monitoring MAGNITUDE of internet activity - how?

Robert Citek robert.citek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 22:44:13 UTC 2017

Would /proc/net/dev give you the info you are looking for?

$ sudo cat /proc/net/dev
Inter-|   Receive                                                |  Transmit
 face |bytes    packets errs drop fifo frame compressed
multicast|bytes    packets errs drop fifo colls carrier compressed
  eth0: 16839226   26454    0    0    0     0          0         0
16903410   27268    0    0    0     0       0          0
  eth1:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0
578       7    0    0    0     0       0          0
    lo:       0       0    0    0    0     0          0         0
  0       0    0    0    0     0       0          0

Capture at t0 and t1, parse, diff.

Regards,
- Robert