[PLUG] Seeking opinion on new century link 1G install

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Thu Mar 2 18:28:31 UTC 2017

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 00:03:51 -0800
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>> Still can't get the desktop to see the internet. :(

>You could at least temporarily set the network up on the desktop to
>use DHCP and see if that fixes the problems. If you later want to
>switch it back to static ip addresses you can use the  settings it
>gets via DHCP as a guide.

Success!

Previously, from advice found on Ubuntu forums I had added the following
lines to /etc/network/interfaces:

	auto eth0
	iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.1.146
	gateway 192.168.1.1
	netmask 255.255.255.0

It didn't seem to make any difference, so this morning I #'d them out.
Then I searched all over for the correct command on 14.04 to restart
the network. I finally found the right command 'sudo service
network-manager restart.' After issuing the command Firefox was able to
go places and Banshee was able to stream internet radio, so all is
right with my world again.

Many thanks to all who helped!