[PLUG] Seeking opinion on new century link 1G install

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Mar 8 03:17:24 UTC 2017

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> writes:

John> The bill was actually $86.76 because I signed up for their $9.99 a
John> month modem rental, intending to return it and buy my own as soon
John> as I can figure out what to buy. The paperwork says their modem is
John> a Model Number: C2100T. There is another device in addition to the
John> modem, but I don't know what it is. Someone here posted that they
John> had bought a modem for CenturyLink gigabit for $50 somewhere, but
John> I can't find the message now. Advice would be appreciated.

You need a router that can do a vlan and pppoe.  The CenturyLink device
is just a wireless router with those features, no fancy demodulator like
a cable modem.  I have set up a few gateway routers on CL fiber, and I
could help.  One person got a D-Link DIR860L-B1 (about $30 on amazon)
and put LEDE (OpenWrt) on it, with a configuration I helped the with.
Works pretty well.

Despite the speed claims and speed tests, downloads from actual services
tend to be much lower.  I rarely see more that 30 Mbps, although a few
times I saw 200-300 Mbps.  I'm not sure why, if it is just bad peering,
the other end-point not feeding fast enough, or some kind of active
throttling.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net