[PLUG] Seeking opinion on new century link 1G install

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Mar 10 05:08:09 UTC 2017

>>>>> "John" == John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> writes:

John> From what Russell et al. have said here, and from what I can see
John> myself, it appears that the 'modem' is not a modem as we normally
John> think of a modem, rather, it appears to function more as a
John> router. I haven't used its wifi because the Netgear has wifi (only
John> used for my phone and laptop, although the laptop is normally
John> wired). Russell says I need pppoe and VLAN and that these might be
John> doable with the Netgear. I logged into the Netgear router and
John> found a VLAN / Bridge Settings page, which had a big checkbox for
John> 'Enable VLAn / Bridge Setup.' It was not checked and I left it
John> unchecked for now. I didn't find anything that said pppoe, but
John> probably I just don't know what to look for.

It's not terribly likely that the VLAN on the WAN port is supported by
the stock firmware of any off-the-shelf router.  It isn't clear why
CenturyLink even does that, except to try to lock you in to their
hardware.  Considering your help with the table saw a few months ago,
I'd be happy to build a D-Link DIR860L gateway to do the trick for you.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net