[PLUG] How to make a linux system self recover

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 13 20:17:54 UTC 2017

On Mon, 13 Mar 2017, VY wrote:

> I am asking everyone -- if I want a very reliable Linux setup such as what
> I described above, what are some of the considerations I should be
> thinking about?
> Any tip much appreciated!  Thanks

   man monit:

NAME
        Monit - utility for monitoring services on a Unix system

SYNOPSIS
        monit [options] {arguments}

DESCRIPTION
        Monit is a utility for managing and monitoring processes, programs,
        files, directories and filesystems on a Unix system. Monit conducts
        automatic maintenance and repair and can execute meaningful causal
        actions in error situations. E.g. Monit can start a process if it
        does not run, restart a process if it does not respond and stop a
        process if it uses too much resources. You can use Monit to monitor
        files, directories and filesystems for changes, such as timestamps
        changes, checksum changes or size changes.

        Monit is controlled via an easy to configure control file based on a
        free-format, token-oriented syntax. Monit logs to syslog or to its
        own log file and notifies you about error conditions via customisable
        alert messages. Monit can perform various TCP/IP network checks,
        protocol checks and can utilise SSL for such checks. Monit provides a
        HTTP(S) interface and you may use a browser to access the Monit
        program.

etc.