[PLUG] Wired security camera systems (was Wireless video cameras?)

Neal nsedell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 19:42:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 8:46 AM, Chuck Hast <wchast at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I did security camera installs I put the DVR on a box hidden away
> some-
> where and we used a "baitbox" older PC running all of the camera screens on
> it located someplace so if the bad guys broke in, they found that device
> and
> took it for the DVR. Running ZoneMinder headless is one of the great things
> about that product.

Thanks for the great idea Chuck. Sounds like the perfect application for an
old laptop.

I'm re-doing the home security DVR based on a Zmodo cheapie (~$100) from
Woot!) bare bones system that came with w/4 cameras. Have been running two
cameras with motion detection triggered capture aimed at the cluster
mailbox across the street. After 4 years the spare 320GB drive I threw in
it is only about 75% full. We don't have much traffic on our street so it
only captures a couple dozen 60 second clips a day as a point of reference.

The one time it would have paid off the picture was too blurry to tell if
the suspected perp had the missing item in his hand or not. The cameras
that came with the DVR have a very narrow angle field of view, one thing to
watch out for in these package deals.

Not paranoid, just curious, mostly. Makes it possible to tell if the
postman/postwoman/postLGBTQ has been by for the day if nothing else.

If anyone has integrated one of these puppies such that the Linux server
handles the texting/emailing of events vs. letting the DVR do it I'm all
ears & eyes. I haven't looked since I first got it and I am going to look
into it as soon as I can get a round tuit.

NealS