[PLUG] serial communication over ethernet (VY)

Mike C. mconnors1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 04:50:39 UTC 2017

> Hello All:
>
> I am looking for a mechanism from Linux to configure a device that's a
> small ethernet server:
>
>    https://www.lantronix.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/XPort-AR_CR.pdf
>
> The initial steps involve configuring its BAUD rate, IP address etc..
> On Windows, per their instructions, folks are asked to use things like
> telnet and hyperterminal,
> or other serial communication tools.
>
> On Linux, I have configured serial ports before, using things like
> minicom.  But those devices would show up as /dev/TTY***.    In this
> device, it is showing up in an ethernet port.
>
> what tools can I use to configure this device in such scenario under Linux?
> I know exactly which ethernet port it is connected to (e.g.  eth1)
>
> thanks in advanced for any tip.

Are you connecting to the device via a serial port?

Standard configuration for serial port communication is: 9600, 8, N, 1

i.e.
Bits per second (Baud Rate): 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

This getting started document explains how to connect via the serial port.
https://www.lantronix.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/XPort-AR_QS.pdf

The device also has DHCP enabled, so you could just plug into your LAN. You
can run the command arp -a before plugging in it and then after. You should
see the new mac & ip addr entry in your computer's arp table.

Here's an example of an arp table entry on my computer:

gateway (10.0.0.1) at 00:00:ca:11:22:33 [ether] on enp2s0

The first 6 characters of any mac addr are reserved for the OUI,
Organizationally Unique Identifier. In my example arp table entry, 00:00:ca
is for Arris.

Lantronix's OUI is: 00:80:A3

HTH,

Mike