[PLUG] USB to ethernet adapters

Tom tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 20:14:35 UTC 2017

USB2 with maximum transfer speed 480 Mb/s is plenty fast for fast
ethernet (100Mb/s) but not fast enough for 1 Gb/s ethernet - hence
those come mainly wit USB3 (or 3.0 or 3.1 v1 to confuse people) which
is 5Gb/s. Please note that USB3 gigabit ethernet adapter will work just
fine with recent linux when plugged in USB2 port.
I used may "no name" USB2 and USB3 to ethernet adapters over the years
and never had any issues with them on linux the "brands" were selected
at random by their price and form factor mainly: Cable Matters,
AmazonBasics, Anker, StarTech, SIIG and Linksys. The adapters are about
$10 for 100Mb/s and $15 for 1Gb/s on amazon.com - they are all
backwards compatible to 10/100Mb/s.
Hope it helps, Tomas