[PLUG] Multiple hard drive types in SAS raids.

Cryptomonkeys.org louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Thu Mar 23 12:52:44 UTC 2017

> On Mar 22, 2017, at 7:20 PM, Thomas Groman <tgrom.automail at nuegia.net> wrote:
>
> Software ZFS raid would be faster instead of a Dell Perc6? what about
> offloading? how much more CPU would ZFS RAID10 w/SSD cache use?

For anything that will fit in the cache (multiple options here), yes. The way ZFS works, you have an ARC which is in-memory cache, you have (optional) SSD cache, and lastly, if its not in either of those, you go to disk (there are tuning knobs for specifying what data sets you want to not cache). This is particularly effective if you have a large amount of memory for the ARC.

I don’t have a large system in front of me right now. At home, I have a FreeNAS box that has 20T of disk and 4T of SSD, it does both NAS duties (AFP/SMB/NFS) and also iSCSI for VMware. There are about a dozen VMs running hosting 8-12 domains doing various things such as mail, database, web. Its a single 6c Xeon E5-2603 1.6GHz. I can push multiple 1G streams over the network (don’t have 10G yet) w/o any issue. For a business, I’d suggest talking to somebody like iX Systems as they offer commercial products with ZFS, but you can roll your own solutions too.

Louis Kowolowski                                louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/

Making life more interesting for people since 1977