[PLUG] Monitor... dead audio

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 17:48:56 UTC 2017

Yes, I have tried both inputs, and zip. There is something wrong in the
audio
path. I can feed another TV with the HDMI cable from the RPi and get good
audio, so the issue is with the TV/Monitor. I can tell you this much
Westinghouse
is useless, I sent them a note to the address given for such issues, they
sent
me a USER manual which I had stated very clearly that I had. Then they sent
me a 800 number, I called that, they told me they were going to send it
right
out to me, they sent me a USER manual, called them and told them that I
already had the USER manual, and that I needed the service manual, guy told
me he did not have it, asked to talk to a manager and he hung up on me.

Called back, got a chick, she pulled up the trouble ticket number and put me
on hold, and never came back online. Whatabunchaputzes...

I have looked high and low for it, I am trying to go through the FCC it has
FCC symbol on the back but no grantee code. So not sure what is going on,
flat screen tv/monitors fall under part 15 because they radiate, so they
have
to have gone through the radiation testing, unless the label is boggus.

Once I can get the grantee I will KNOW who the actual manufacterer is, and
I can try to go to them. Or FCC may have it on the site, I have got diagrams
of devices off of the FCC site before.

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> wrote:

> On 03/25/17 02:35, wes wrote:
> > he did specify that he can send the audio elsewhere, but he likes the
> > Westinghouse monitor's speakers and wants to fix them.
> >
> > personally, I'd verify that it doesn't work with another device first.
> >
> > -wes
>
> Agreed.  First confirm that it truly is broken by trying it with another
> device *and* cable that are known to work.
>
> I see that it has a line-level 3.5 mm jack.  I would definitely try
> feeding it an analog audio signal through this jack.  Alternatively, you
> could try the audio RCA jacks.  This should tell you whether the audio
> amp itself is broken, or whether the problem lies somewhere upstream.
>
> Not to insult you, but you should also confirm it's not muted.  Even if
> the on-screen display doesn't indicate it, I'd toggle the mute button a
> few times.  Finally, I also suggest disconnecting power for a minute or
> so and then reconnecting.  Perhaps the firmware has just gotten confused.
>
> Beyond this, I think you're getting into oscilloscope territory.
>

> galen
> --
> Galen Seitz
> galens at seitzassoc.com

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.