[PLUG] Monitor... dead audio

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 18:43:01 UTC 2017

On 03/24/2017 11:31 PM, Chuck Hast wrote:
> Folks,
> I have a Westinghouse 37" monitor. It has HDMI and if there is audio on the
> HDMI it should be heard through the speakers on the monitor. This thing has
> great video, I would like to fix the audio issue if I can, I use the thing
> with an
> RPi. So far I have hit zero on finding a service manual.
>
> The model is a LVM-37w3se. It has a Westinghouse logo on it and you can
> find the USER manuals all over the 'net, but the service manual shines in
> it's
> absence.
>
> It is great for a traininig monitor and since it does not have the receiver
> in it
> people are not going to be able to move it to TV channels and use it when I
> am not around. I guess if the Pi is hooked up to it they could do video that
> way but there are ways to defeat that (remove Pi and put in pocket) I was
> using
> it to give my wife some training (she does not like to wear glasses and this
> monitor was great for that), but now I have to push audio to an alternative
> audio device, unit had great audio, it just died.

I don't think you will have much luck with either Westinghouse or
whoever built the monitor.  I have Westinghouse 32" 720p TV bought on
closeout sale as a bedroom spare.  The Speaker went out right when
warranty exprired - well, once in a while it pops on for 15-30 min.
This is via internal tuner, RCA jack, HDMI etc.  It has a headphone jack
which works when routed to a, well, headphone, or powered set of
speakers.  Drove me nuts to try to figure out what was the deal and
given the potential expense of replacing the main PCB (these are not
like old CRT TVs where you can swap out various chunks), I just gave up.
 I bought a 55" LG 4k UHD for the living room and moved the RCA (another
sad corporate decline) 40" 1080p to the bedroom. I took a chance on the
Westinghouse since the RCA held up ok.

Westinghouse is no longer the company it once was.  After it bought CBS,
CBS then sold to viacom, it spun off "Westinghouse" as a brand licensing
company, the hardware was all sold off to various entities (Siemens,
Toshiba, etc...).  So when you see the name...just say no.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Digital
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Electric_Company

And this one will rattle your eyelids:
http://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/tv-brands-arent-always-what-they-seem/