[PLUG] HP laptop

Tom tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 21:00:03 UTC 2017

My experience with UEFI on HP and Lenovo laptops goes like this:
 * Unless you can import your distribution signing keys (openSuSE and SuSE installers do that automatically) or disable secure UEFI boot you will have various degrees of trouble double booting. Although the UEFI boot menu (usually F12) should still get you boot from whatever GTP partition you want to boot from.
 * Please note that disabling secure UEFI boot typically means that you get some degree of manual intervention hassle booting Win10
 * If you care about your Win installation, I recommend to create and verify Windows recovery media and automate or at least document your Linux install. This might come handy if you loose signed Win10 boot-loader or cannot boot Windows anymore or learn about to make the setup better.
 * Double booting is automatically setup by SuSE and Ubuntu installers typically only for the first time. So if you change distribution, reinstall or do not succeed at UEFI and Windows detection - you will need to adjust/configure the boot loader manually. I find it annoying at most because to manually configure UEFI require significant knowledge and I only do that once per couple of years, so I always forget wow it all works and do not have the days required to re-learn all that stuff - it is also moving target.
 * These days, I typically solve this by wiping Windows altogether and run it in VM under Linux if I need to, which I normally do not need to do.
Overall, I think that this UEFI thing is succeeding at making dual boot
predictably unpredictable hassle. That being said, it mostly lets you
boot Linux and Windows without too much of a fight even when enabled.
Warning - personal opinion below:
We went from a state where dual boot was so trivial to setup that the
installers almost always took care of it.
Today, Everybody who wants to dual boot Win10+, regardless whether they
can disable the secure boot or not, will have various degrees of
trouble running around the booting process. If a person does not have
any hassle now, they can expect it in the future either with the boot
process itself or loading compiled drivers, kernel, etc at least once
in a while at reinstall times.
Tomas