[PLUG] Problems running WordPress on http://localhost/ - was {Re: Network server and client simultaneously ...}

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Wed Mar 29 13:50:22 UTC 2017

On 03/22/2017 11:30 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 03/20/2017 03:33 PM, wes wrote:
>> you certainly can. simply point your browser (aka HTTP client) at
>> http://localhost. configure apache (aka HTTP server) to serve the desired
>> website with the virtualhost defined as "localhost" and you should be good
>> to go.
>>
>> -wes
>
> *ROFL*
> I clicked on the http://localhost above and got a page whose sixth line
> of HTML is " <title>Apache2 Debian Default Page: It works</title> "  ;/
>
> The page includes links which should answer the 2 or 3 dozen questions
> that your post raised.
> Thank you.
> signed
> HHHMRA {He hoot hath much reading ahead}

I was overly optimistic in ways ;<
I'm running Debian Jessie.
There was apparently no problem installing Apache2.
wget and ufw(with defaults) are installed.
I then installed WordPress from the Debian Repository and created "My
first WordPress page".
I'm using _WordPress All-in-One For Dummies_ 2nd Edition (3rd edition on
pre-ordered) as a guide.
Things apparently work, barring operator errors.

There is an update available for the installed theme.
I am having problems.

To perform the requested action, WordPress needs to access your web
server. Please enter your FTP credentials to proceed. If you do not
remember your credentials, you should contact your web host.
Hostname
FTP Username
FTP Password

I enter "localhost/" for Hostname.
I have 2 combinations of Username and Password that I use for my local
experiments. I've tried both. The error message is always:
   "Failed to connect to FTP Server localhost/:21"

How many errors am I making?

Have I not installed an FTP related module?
    The book mentions three "hosting account management" packages -
cPanel, Plesk, and NetAdmin. Using Synaptic to search the repository
based on those names or the description gives no hits.

Suggestions please.
TIA