[PLUG] Using ssh-agent and ssh-add

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 30 22:10:57 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, chris (fool) mccraw wrote:

> I've had good luck making sure that my entire session runs under ssh-agent
> - before the days of ubiquitous desktop managers and login panels, I just
> ran 'ssh-agent startx'.  Then one 'ssh-add' was good for the duration of my
> xwin session, including suspends.  I think modern login panels/managers do
> this for you?  I no longer ssh out of my linux machines very often so I
> haven't tried this in...years.

Chris,

   Interesting. I boot into runlevel 3 on all hosts and manually startx (an
alias to start Xfce) unless I want to work on a console. I could add
ssh-agent to the starx alias, or just type it on the command line.

> Other options if you don't trust your laptop is running 'ssh-agent screen'
> or 'ssh-agent tmux' on a remote "bastion" host that you enforce secure
> login to, and then you can reconnect to that session to Do The Thing,
> rather than carrying around a loaded gun, you just have one set up in a
> safe somewhere allready...

   I trust my laptop, but no one between it and the office network when I'm
away. Here in the office the connection is cat5 on the LAN.

Thanks,