[PLUG] Using ssh-agent and ssh-add

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Mar 31 00:17:12 UTC 2017

On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2017, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>
>> This, IMO, is the way to do this. Wrap your entire X session in
>> ssh-agent. Even the Mac exports ssh-agent to all its terminals.
>
> Paul,
>
>   What is the difference between adding ssh-agent to the startx
> alias and having it in ~/.bash_profile? Seems to me the former adds
> the agent to all virtual tables while the latter makes it present in
> consoles and vts.
>
>   Sometimes I'll stay in the console when a laptop books and use scp
> or rsync to copy files or directories to or from another host.

If you want your agent available in runlevel 3, adding it to the
startx invocation obviously won't do any good. (Similarly, if you exit
your X window manager temporarily, your terminal won't have access to
the agent.)

If you do most of your SSH work in terminals launched and managed by
your window manager, then

   ssh-agent startx

is all you need.