[PLUG] Changing password

c cbpurcell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 17:58:33 UTC 2017

Humans as a whole are pretty horrible at remembering passwords that are a
string of number and letters, so our tools often don't enforce significant
complexity unless you change the defaults.

I am pretty sure that all it checks by default is if the password is at
least 6 characters long and has a number in it and that it doesn't match
your previous passord(s)

You can update the complexity requirements by updating pam.d, but the
directions and exact file are going to vary with whatever distro of linux
you use.

Purcell

On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:43 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 10:26:33 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj at gmx.com> dijo:
>
> >>From the command line I tried passwd, but it refused because it said
> >the new password was too similar to the old one. OK, passwd program, I
> >don't disagree, but just do it, and I mean it, 'k?
>
> Never mind. I finally succeeded. I'm still curious why passwd didn't
> think the new password was too similar when I just appended '1.' Silly
> program.

Darkness spoons with you.