[PLUG] Movie fan needs storage space

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Mar 31 21:59:31 UTC 2017

On Fri, 31 Mar 2017 13:18:32 -0700
Tom <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>I wish other companies would publish yearly hardware failure rates like
>this one:
>https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

I've been there before, but I find their web page impossible to figure
out.

>> I have had a lot of Seagates die, but every few WD drives, and never
>> had one just up and quit, the WD's always gave me some sort of warning prior
>> to taking a dive, the Seagates were bad about just failing.

I can echo your sentiments about Seagates failing - I've had the same
experience. However, I recently heard or read (can't remember where)
that Seagates lately have become much better and are now worthy of
consideration. Even if true, their previous performance has lost me as
a customer. We customers tend to have long memories.

>> The idea of purchasing a external drive case and buiding your own
>> drive is a good idea.

That is the best bit of advice I have seen in this thread. In fact,
that is exactly what I now plan to do.

>> > For instance, the WD Black and Datacenter drives appear to
>> > have 5 year warranties, as does the Seagate BarraCuda Pro.
>> > galen

I know that the 8TB WD in my Synology has a five year warranty, but
I'll be damned if I can remember which color it is or which model
number. I just spent the last half hour looking everywhere for the
purchase details, but all I can determine is that it was not from
Amazon, and the date must have been early July 2016, because that's
when I signed up for the Synology forums, and I bought the drive and
the Synology at the same time. I also remember them both arriving in
the mail.

For drives inside my computer I can get the drive information with
Palimpsest (now Gnome-drive-something), or gparted, but those two do
not see the NAS and I have no idea how to poke at it to get the drive
model number. I'd like to get another of the same model because the
Synology is a two-bay NAS and some day I might want to use it there. In
the meantime I'll get a USB enclosure for it.