[PLUG] HOW to search for a specialized text editor?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Mon May 1 21:42:32 UTC 2017

Please note the _*FIRST WORD*_ of the subject line <GRIN>
[Did a preliminary web search. Results indicated I was clueless ;]

Background:
Last week I was asked to be one of the proofreaders of a near final
draft of a ~1300 word document. IOW the structure and desired content
were firmly established. Although fluent in English, it is not the
author's primary language. He had prepared the English text I (and
others) were reviewing.

Desired specifications:
1. It shall have exactly 2 panes.
2. Pane 1 shall:
    a. have a verbatim copy of the original text.
    b. assign immutable tags (visible or not) to beginning AND
       end of each paragraph.
    c. be intrinsically READ-ONLY.
       That implies that both text and tags are immutable from
       invocation to invocation.
3. Pane 2 shall:
    a. on initial invocation be a byte for byte duplicate [*INCLUDING*
       tags] of the original.
    b. as Pane 2 is edited maintain visual sync of initial paragraph
       start and ultimate edited paragraph extent. [Is that vague ;]

Am I even "asking right questions"?

TIA as "owl" *DUCKS* fer cover