[PLUG] WordPress - Take2

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun May 7 12:45:51 UTC 2017

On 05/06/2017 04:05 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> On 05/06/2017 12:40 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
>
> <...>
>
>> I decided to start from scratch in an organized manner.
>> This time it will be a PURE Debian install using Debian oriented
>> documentation. Preferably *current* and authoritative.
>>
>> I have a brand new partition with Debian Stretch (IE testing).
>> I have used Synaptic to install apache2, mysql, php.
>>
>> Apache2 apparently works as pointing browser to http://localhost/
>> displays the correct page. It effectively reminded me that I had not
>> installed the apache2-doc package. I did so.
>>
>> I know of no way to test mysql and/or php at this point.
>
> To test mysql, run the mysql monitor. Open a terminal window and type
> the following:
>
> mysql -u username -p
>
> When you installed MySql it should have created the user "root" and
> had you create a password for user root. So in the above command,
> substitute "root" for "username" (don't use the quote marks).
> If MySQL is running, [SNIP ;]

It wasn't;
It responded with an apparently infamous error:
" Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' "
A web search and an "ahaaa moment" and a solution.
Debian is replacing the old mysql with current mariadb.
I managed to end up with a non-functional mixture. Not sure if operator
error or one those bugs that has Debian 9 still in testing.
Purged mysql* and installed appropriate mariadb client and server packages.

[Things not as simple as I thought. See answer to last question.]

> To test php put the following into a file named index.php,

> <?php phpinfo(); ?>
>
> and then put it in the same folder as your current index.html, [snip]

The Debian version of index.html is so kind as to actually tell the user
what directory it is in.
This test also passes ;}

>> I then installed the phpmyadmin package. An installer script
>> started. It asked what database program was being used. I marked
>> the box for mysql.
>> It asked for "MySQL application password for phpmyadmin". I made one.
>> It then asked for "password for database's administrative user".
>> I made one.
>> It *FAILED* displaying a box of potential causes - none of which
>> made sense.
>
> When you installed MySQL, did it ask you to create an administrator's
> password? That's the one you should use here and is the same one used
> in the example above on how to get into the mysql monitor. In my case
> the administrator is root.

This is my comment I mentioned above - "root" can mean to many things.
Above, when I thought mysql now ran, I was logged into Debian as root -
not as richard.
As Debian's root user "mysql - u root" alone will run.
Also "mysql - u root -p<cr>" will prompt for a password and will run if
what was entered for "MySQL application password for phpmyadmin" is
given *BUT NOT* for a "bad" password.

I can't pursue this at the moment.
It will have to wait till this afternoon.
Thanks for your assistance.