[PLUG] Ubuntu upgrade

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Fri May 12 16:28:24 UTC 2017

I finally got a house and all my stuff delivered and unpacked. I fired up
my desktop system, a Dell Optiplex 745 with dual monitors. It has been
running Ubuntu 14.04LTS for the last couple years without problem. When I
fired it up, it asked me to upgrade to 16.04LTS. I figured 'why not' and
clicked upgrade. It did its thing and rebooted. Once it rebooted, the
screens come up blank. No response from the keyboard or mouse. NumLock key
lights on and off appropriately. When I hit the power button, it will put
up a splash and shut down. On power up, I get a grub screen with the usual
options, older versions, memtest, etc. Letting it default, I get an Ubuntu
boot splash for a few seconds, then blank screens. I can ssh into it and
see that things appear to be running. I can't really remember where to go
from here. Ideas appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael