[PLUG] Emulating scroll wheel and middle button on Trackman Marble

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon May 29 18:53:09 UTC 2017

   Germane to the replacement for my deceased Logitech trackball that had a
separate scroll wheel and used a press on it to emulate the middle mouse
button.

   There are very few choices for a trackball with the 'marble' in the center
where it's operated by an index or middle finger and do not have a large
square footprint. The Logitech Trackman Marble and a Kensington equivalent
are reasonably priced versions but both lack a scroll wheel and pressing
both large buttons does nothing rather than emulating a middle-button click
for pasting highlighted text.

   A web search found a script to enable scrolling and middle-clicking. Since
xorg.conf is deprecated, the script is in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with the
name 10-evdev.conf:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "Marble Mouse"
Driver "evdev"
MatchProduct "Logitech USB Trackball"
MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
MatchIsPointer "yes"
Option "ButtonMapping" "1 9 3 4 5 6 7 2 8"
Option "EmulateWheel" "true"
Option "EmulateWheelButton" "3"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "XAxisMapping" "6 7"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

   (The author wrote this for the Gnome desktop and set Emulate3Buttons to
false; I changed this to true.)

   My question is what is required to get the kernel to read this file?
Logging out and back in doesn't do anything. I can't source the file because
there are no executable commands. Is there anything short of a system reboot
that will enable this configuration file?