[PLUG] Emulating scroll wheel and middle button on Trackman Marble [RESOLVED]

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Tue May 30 21:10:37 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 30 May 2017, Michael Barnes wrote:
>
> > Happy to see this, sort of. I, too, am using a Trackman Marble, but I am
> > using it with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (yes, I know I need to upgrade.) Looking
> at
> > this fix, I went to xorg.conf and there is nothing. So, what does Ubuntu
> > use in place of xorg?
>
> Michael,
>
>    xorg.conf was deprecated several years ago, probably when the udev
> system
> was implemented. Now all specific config files are in
> /etc/X11/xorg-conf.d/.
> That's where I put 10-evdev.conf. If you want a copy of that file let me
> know off the mail list and I'll send it to you.
>
>    You might want to check 'hwinfo --mouse' first to get the proper model
> name.
>
> Rich

Yes, I gathered that from the conversation. What I am trying to say is,
there is no xorg anything anywhere in my /etc/ directory. Searching the
computer, I do find a folder /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d and it does have a
10-evdev.conf file, but it looks pretty generic as if it is a sample or
something. It has been a couple of years since I have set anything up and I
am a bit behind, trying to catch up. I am amazed at the number of changes
that have occurred recently and am a bit overwhelmed, but I'm trying to get
there.

So, do I need to create an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder and put this file in
it? It seems to me there is much more afoot here than merely creating a
folder and putting a file into it. Just looked at the machine I am on right
now (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS) and it, also, has no xorg file or folder of any kind
under /etc/.

Not sure where to go from here.
Michael