[PLUG] Configuring Ubiquiti ER-X

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Nov 5 22:18:04 UTC 2017

   It's taking much too long to configure this new router; the short story is
the need to download and install a firmware (OS) upgrade and reboot the
router. Did that and completed the WAN configuration of the router. A
message popped up telling me to connect the laptop to a LAN port, set it to
the proper subnet, and connect to the router on it's new IP address:
192.168.55.4.

   So I configured the connected laptop (running Slackware-14.2/64-bits) back
to the 192.168.55.0/24 subnet and rebooted. Each time I switch subnets I
need to have the kernel re-read the Ethernet port configuration file
(/etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf) and re-start the internet daemon
(/etc/rc.d/rc.inetd restart). Having done this (multiple times this weekend)
I still cannot ping the router on its IP address (192.168.55.4) from the
laptop (192.168.55.2).

   Eth0 shows the proper IP address and is UP and RUNNING. /etc/resolv.conf
is correct. Trying to ping fails: 'network is unreachable.' That's usually a
resolv.conf problem or the kernel not finding the proper IP addresses.
Re-starting rc.inet1 and rc.inetd this time do not resolve the issue. Web
searches found nothing useful.

   I'm at a loss of what else to try; perhaps I'm in a rut and cannot see
other possible causes of not connecting. Please let me know what I've missed
here so I can try to complete configuring this new router.