[PLUG] Fiber connectors?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Nov 10 06:32:19 UTC 2017

John,

Yeah, the "bypassing needless" part is what we did already when I was
helping you.  The NDOOR SFU GEN3 is the netgear thingie that the fiber
goes into, the so-called indoor ONT (optical network terminator).

If you do end up finding a keystone, it will probably amount to a
passive optical connector (i.e. precisely holding the polished ends of
two fiber connector together).  You don't crimp these yourself, at
least, not without a $5k fiber fuser, or a super tedious fiber
termination kit that involves cutting, epoxying, and polishing
absolutely flat the end of the strand.  You would need not only the
wall plate and an optical connector, but a fiber patch cable for your
side of the wall plate.  All of these would need to have the proper
connector pre-attached at a factory (unless you wanted to become an
expert fiber terminator, and, hint, you don't).

On the other hand, if you do buy a fiber fuser for $5k, you can donate
it to the Personal Telco Project after you've fused the one or two
connections you need, and then we'll be happy to loan it back to you
when ever you need. ;-)

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net