[PLUG] Fiber connectors?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Nov 10 16:07:27 UTC 2017

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 22:32:19 -0800
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>Yeah, the "bypassing needless" part is what we did already when I was
>helping you.  The NDOOR SFU GEN3 is the netgear thingie that the fiber
>goes into, the so-called indoor ONT (optical network terminator).
>
>If you do end up finding a keystone, it will probably amount to a
>passive optical connector (i.e. precisely holding the polished ends of
>two fiber connector together).  You don't crimp these yourself, at
>least, not without a $5k fiber fuser, or a super tedious fiber
>termination kit that involves cutting, epoxying, and polishing
>absolutely flat the end of the strand.  You would need not only the
>wall plate and an optical connector, but a fiber patch cable for your
>side of the wall plate.  All of these would need to have the proper
>connector pre-attached at a factory (unless you wanted to become an
>expert fiber terminator, and, hint, you don't).
>
>On the other hand, if you do buy a fiber fuser for $5k, you can donate
>it to the Personal Telco Project after you've fused the one or two
>connections you need, and then we'll be happy to loan it back to you
>when ever you need. ;-)

OK, I guess I won't be getting a keystone jack for the fiber. I'll just
feed the fiber through an empty hole in one of the plates. But to do so
I will need to unplug it from the NDOOR SFU GEN3, thread it through the
hole, and then plug it back into the NDOOR SFU GEN3.

This morning my head is working a little better so it occurred to me
to call Adtran to see if they could help. They have a support number
and a very nice lady, with native Alabama English, took down my
question, created a ticket number and promised that one of their
support people would call me back.

And after the call to Adtran I noticed that the fiber goes into the
device in a corner that looks like it might come apart. Indeed, there
was a small screw holding it together. I removed it and discovered that
the real connector is inside, and can be pulled out easily. I unplugged
the wall wart, pulled the fiber cable out, routed it through a hole in
one of the wall plates, reconnected it, and powered it back on. There
was some light-blinking for a few moments, but eventually it all went
back to normal. My internet is working fine. I don't know why none of
this occurred to me last night. I am frequently amazed at how much more
intelligent I am in the morning.

And now that I see what the connector at the end of the cable actually
looks like I'll revisit the idea of getting a keystone jack and patch
cable. In fact, I'll just pose that question to the support person when
they call me back. Maybe Adtran even sells such accessories.