[PLUG] Laptop boots with Ethernet ports ipv6

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 10 17:57:06 UTC 2017

   This is a completely new issue here.

   I'm using my Dell Latitude E5410, running Slackware-14.2/x86_64 to
configure the Ubiquiti ER-X. The laptop's eth0 IP address needs to be set
to 192.168.1.1 to configure the router's WAN port. Then I need to change the
laptop's eth0 IP address to 192.168.55.2 (its LAN host address) because the
Ubiquti's LAN IP address was changed to 192.168.55.4. This swapping
back-and-forth lead to last week's thread and Wes' suggestion to have both
subnet IP addresses assigned to eth0. I did this.

   Now, however, I cannot ping LAN hosts or the Ubiquiti router. Looking at
inconfig eth0 on the laptop now shows it has an ipv6 address rather than the
expected ipv4 address. Huh? How'd this happen?

   I've no idea what caused this but need to learn ASAP how to get it back to
using ipv4 addressing.

   Never a dull moment with computers, eh?