[PLUG] One ethernet port, two subnets

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 10 18:11:45 UTC 2017

On Mon, 6 Nov 2017, wes wrote:

> If the above doesn't work for you, we may need to learn more about your
> setup. Given what you've mentioned previously on this topic, I'm going to
> guess that you're trying to arrange it such that you can talk to the
> Ubiquiti router both on its default subnet as well as the one the rest of
> your network uses, without having to re-number your interface every time
> you try to change something. This is exactly the sort of thing I used to do
> when I was playing with these devices a lot.

Wes,

   Here's the setup I tried:
 	Laptop (IP address 192.168.55.2) -> LinkSys 4-port switch
 	Ubiquiti router (default IP address 192.168.1.1) -> LinkSys 4-port
 		switch
 	LinkSys switch -> LAN router (IP address 192.168.55.4)

   This won't work for configuring the replacement router because the
current router already has the IP address of 192.168.55.4. After setting
the Ubiquiti's LAN IP address to the default router address there would be
two hosts with that address. So, until the new router is completely
configured and replaces the Netgear I need to keep rebooting the laptop as I
change its IP address from one subnet to the other.

Thanks,