[PLUG] Backup MX server

Jason Bergstrom bergie at bergie.net
Fri Nov 10 18:50:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 10:35:54AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
> David,
>
>    I've no idea how this works. When Aracnet/SpiritOne was a working ISP I
> set a higer MX number for their mail server (white.spiritone.com). Now that
> I've escaped their clutches I'd like a new backup.
>
>    When you learn how functioning as a backup MX works please share with us.
> No reason why any of us could not return the favor.
>
> Rich

The two reasons this isn't a standard offering are that policies
for filtering mail differ widely. If a secondary accepts all mail
for your primary, then your primary returns and now refuses mail
the secondary has to bounce it (if they don't accept it in the
first place their policy has to agree with your filtering policy).

The second reason is that sending servers will queue mail for
a period of time, often 3-7 days, lists may have a shorter policy.
If your receiving server is down longer then 3 days, you probably
should not run your own mail server.

Jason,
bergie at bergie.net