[PLUG] associate *.PLT files with lpr?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 10 23:30:11 UTC 2017

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> I would like to be able to double-click on a .PLT file to have lpr launch
> with the file as the argument.

Denis,

   I've not closely followed this thread so my questions might have been
answered. What application you use produces a .plt output file? Doesn't the
application itself have a print function?

   When I looked on the web for information on the file format I learned that
it's produced primarily by TecPlot, a commercial vendor of 2D and 3D
visualization software for power grid and reservior models.

> I have created a *.desktop file, made it executable, and placed it in
> ~/.local/share/applications. It shows up in Dash. But it does not show as
> an application that I can associate with a file.

   Admiting to be biased toward the command line, I wonder why providing the
filename as an argument to lpr is not working for you. Or, if you have an
application that allows you to view the .plt file on screen, doesn't it
allow you to print it, too?

Curious mind,