[PLUG] cpufreq governor selection

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 01:37:23 UTC 2017

On 11/11/2017 09:19 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Trying to build a couple of packages here on my 32-bit, 2-core i686 AMD
> Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor causes a CPU overheat shutdown of the
> system.
> Building one large package, ATLAS (a linear algebra library), is
> recommended
> to set cpufreq to 'performance' which fixes the govenor at the highest
> speed. The normal governor is 'ondemand' which sets clock speed
> depending on
> load.

--snip---

>   Your thoughts and experiences will be helpful.
>
> Rich

If you are getting CPU overheating, esp. with this Athlon II X2, which ,
you will need to look at defective case fans, CPU fan or reseat the CPU
heat sink with fresh CPU paste. The ones I had here I used to pushed
push hard with seti at home, climatepredictions at home, einstain at home etc
BOINC projects, and yes games, and never had any significant heat issues.

 AMD CPUs run much cooler than the typical Intel CPUs of the same era.
Athlon II X2 255 have a TPD of only 65W. the cpufrew module just
overrides the built in automatic CPU speed settings and is only useful
to safe power (lower electric bill).

You should be able to run that CPU all day at full blast without
overheating.  Check your cooling fans and CPU heat sink.

-Ed