[PLUG] linux for a Ludite

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 12 02:23:53 UTC 2017

Wow, so many responses. Wonderful.

First - as much as I love vintage stuff - 15 years old computers sucks for
many reasons. Keep it as your pet vintage car type of project. Consider
something new, perhaps Chuwi 12.3, it looks like iPad, so non PC people are
not scared of it, and it is very affordable - not fast, but much better
than T42.

Second - talk and LISTEN to your wife what she would like the computer for.
If like you said it is light browsing and calling people with iPads and
iPods - then iPad is probably the best choice. You cannot win over everyone
constantly moaning about that she should just have iPad. It doesn't matter
how shallow it might be - enjoy talking about other things than computers.

If your wife really want/need a computer, you need to ask her what for. In
any case Ubuntu is probably the best choice because it is simple, it works
and your kids will be able to figure things out for her.

Hope it helps,
-T