[PLUG] Hard Drives - WD Red Pro?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Nov 15 00:21:04 UTC 2017

I'm looking for big hard drives for disk-to-disk backup.
I want reliability; speed and access time less important.
5400 RPM is probably more reliable than 7200 RPM.

I used to buy large hard drives from local merchants;
with Enu and Pacific Micro gone, I know of no good local
options.  Iguana has hard drives, but nothing over 4TB,
no high-reliability disks.  So, Amazon or Newegg or ?

I am leaning towards Western Digital Red Pro 8TB with
the 5 year warranty.  Perhaps 50% more $ per byte than
a WD Blue 4TB, but cheaper per byte-year.  Big drives
store more data per hour of setup time, though I lose
more backup images in one go if they fail (I backup
to two different backup servers).

If some of you have better ideas, please share them here.

Keith

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com