[PLUG] NFS 3 server going down.

Frank Filz ffilzlnx at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 15 18:13:46 UTC 2017

> Or maybe nfs3 with udp.

You need to be careful of NFS with UDP on high speed networks (Gigabit or
faster), the fragment lifetime is long enough for the 16 bit packet id to
wrap, and the result is painfully slow data transfer with a significant
possibility of data corruption (the checksum is also only 16 bits, so
significant chance of assembling fragments from multiple packets with then
over enough data transfer, an almost certainty of a miss-assembled packet
having a valid checksum). This is not theoretical, I have observed it in
test environments...

Are you using fcntl locks?

NFS should recover just fine. What mount options are you using on the
client? What kinds of errors are you seeing?

Frank