[PLUG] DKIM authentication with alpine

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Nov 17 18:20:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  I'm adding DKIM to my postfix installation and have /etc/opendkim.conf
> identifying my domain as the sender. My web searches on how to set alpine to
> use authentication fails to find anything newer than 2009 (which has a dead
> link to the dead UDub alpine mail list). I also see nothing in alpine's
> setup about authenticating outbound mail; it may be there and I don't
> recognize it for what it is.

By "set alpine to use authentication," do you mean "have alpine send
mail via an authenticated connection rather than just dumping to
sendmail"?

If so, then something like this works:

smtp-server=mail.appl-ecosys.com:587/user=rshepard/tls

The hostname, port, and security protocols may need adjusting,
depending on your setup. (If your mail server isn't listening on port
587, you may want to look it up.) If you're using straight SSL, that
directive might look like this:

smtp-server=mail.appl-ecosys.com:465/user=rshepard/ssl

This all assumes, of course, that your mail server has already been
configured to handle user authentication...

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W