[PLUG] DKIM authentication with alpine

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Nov 17 19:02:54 UTC 2017

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> By "set alpine to use authentication," do you mean "have alpine send mail
> via an authenticated connection rather than just dumping to sendmail"?

Paul,

   Yep. That's what I mean. I'm still learning the language and the tools.
All this to avoid being greylisted when I send mail to domains that check
for authentication.

> If so, then something like this works:
> smtp-server=mail.appl-ecosys.com:587/user=rshepard/tls

   Where does this go? I'm not forwarding mail through another mail server so
the port should be 25 ... I think. I believe that I need to also set a TXT
record on my DNS server for SPF and, perhaps, one for DMARC. Much to learn
and looking for resources.

> The hostname, port, and security protocols may need adjusting, depending
> on your setup. (If your mail server isn't listening on port 587, you may
> want to look it up.) If you're using straight SSL, that directive might
> look like this:
> smtp-server=mail.appl-ecosys.com:465/user=rshepard/ssl

   I don't know what postfix is using here. I have the router set to forward
incoming mail through port 25; outgoing mail uses teh same port. I've not
explicitly set SSL or TSL for alpine/postfix.

> This all assumes, of course, that your mail server has already been
> configured to handle user authentication...

   I've installed opendkim but have not yet started it.

Thanks,