[PLUG] Checking external hard drive

Bill Weiss pdxlinux at houdini.spum.us
Mon Nov 20 19:16:15 UTC 2017

Rich Shepard(rshepard at appl-ecosys.com)@Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 09:19:19AM -0800:
> On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Roderick Anderson wrote:
>
> > Did you check your fstab for correct entries?
>
> Rod,
>
>   Yes.
>
> UUID=da596a77-2fb4-41ed-881c-a3f8bb0ab437 /media/hd0  auto defaults  0 0
> /dev/sdc1	 /mnt/flashdrive  vfat	      auto,users,rw  0   0
> /dev/sdb1	 /mnt/thumb       vfat        auto,users,rw  0   0
> /dev/sdb	 /mnt/hd	  ext3	      noauto,users,rw  0   0
>
>   I don't understand why /media/hd0 shows 2 mounted ext3 partitions,
> /dev/sdb on /media/hd0 type ext3 (rw)
> /dev/sdc on /media/hd0 type ext3 (rw)
> while 'df' sees only /dev/sdc, and the kernel error refers to an ext4 file
> system on /dev/sdb.

You've got /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc mounted on top of each other. df sees
/dev/sdc because it's the one on top :) If you umount it you'll get
/dev/sdb. It happens.

I feel like the ext4 driver contains the ext3 and ext2 logic these days? I
found https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/UpgradeToExt4 which says
"Note: The ext3 driver will be removed from the kernel in 4.3. The ext4
driver will mount ext3 volumes while maintaining ext3 disk format
compatibility." So, if you're on a new kernel, there you go.

--
Bill Weiss