[PLUG] Checking external hard drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 20 19:30:40 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Bill Weiss wrote:

> You've got /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc mounted on top of each other. df sees
> /dev/sdc because it's the one on top :) If you umount it you'll get
> /dev/sdb. It happens.

Bill,

   I'm not sure I understand. While /etc/fstab will mount /dev/sdb (a
different external hard drive not now connected to the system) on /mnt/hd,
/etc/fstab shows the backup external hard drive mounting on /media/hd0. If
the backup drive is seen as /dev/sdc how is it mounting on top of /dev/sdb?

   What do you recommend for a solution?

> I feel like the ext4 driver contains the ext3 and ext2 logic these days? I
> found https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/UpgradeToExt4 which says
> "Note: The ext3 driver will be removed from the kernel in 4.3. The ext4
> driver will mount ext3 volumes while maintaining ext3 disk format
> compatibility." So, if you're on a new kernel, there you go.

   Ah, so. Yes, I'm running kernel 4.4.88 on this ext3 system. When I can get
these residual issues resolved I'll finish building the replacement server
which will use ext4 and 64-bit words.

Thanks,