[PLUG] Checking external hard drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Nov 20 21:27:56 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017, Robert Citek wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>> UUID=da596a77-2fb4-41ed-881c-a3f8bb0ab437 /media/hd0  auto defaults  0 0
>> /dev/sdc1        /mnt/flashdrive  vfat        auto,users,rw  0   0
>> /dev/sdb1        /mnt/thumb       vfat        auto,users,rw  0   0
>> /dev/sdb         /mnt/hd          ext3        noauto,users,rw  0   0
>
> It is odd that you are both mounting the drive (/dev/sdb) and its
> partition (/dev/sdb1).

Robert,

   That's because /var/log/messages told me that almost all my USB flash
drives are seen as /dev/sdb1, while the 3T Seagate external drive is seen as
/dev/sdb. When I insert a flash drive I can mount it on /mnt/thumb or
//mnt/flashdrive. When I want to use the large drive I mount it on /mnt/hd.

>>   I don't understand why /media/hd0 shows 2 mounted ext3 partitions,
>> /dev/sdb on /media/hd0 type ext3 (rw)
>> /dev/sdc on /media/hd0 type ext3 (rw)
>
> It's also odd that df does not match /etc/fstab, e.g. sdc vs sdc1,
> /mnt/flashdrive vs /media/hd0.

   I will gladly change the backup drive's mount point to /mnt/hd (or a new
/mnt/backup) since it and the 3T hard drive will not be mounted
simultaneously if this resolves the issue.

Thanks,