[PLUG] ISP near Gresham

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Oct 3 14:04:43 UTC 2017

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Barnes <barnmichael at gmail.com> writes:

Michael> I was just looking at who advertised service in the area. You
Michael> will typically only find one provider per medium in a given
Michael> area. As a rule, you will find one telephone system (DSL),
Michael> possibly one cable TV system, and in some areas one fiber optic
Michael> system. These may be under one or more companies. So,
Michael> CenturyLink may be the telephone carrier and XFinity may be the
Michael> cable provider. And, in the same area, it is possible to have
Michael> Frontier providing fiber service.

If Frontier is the Incumbent Local Exchange Carrier (ILEC), which means
they own the old twisted pair copper telephone wires, then they will own
the fiber there too.  I know of no cases where Verizon/Frontier deployed
fiber anywhere but within their ILEC service territory, at least for
residential service.  If I am wrong, I would love to get the details.

There are also Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLEC), like Integra.
They are able to lease the old copper and switching office space from
the phone company at non-discriminatory rates to provide service to
customers.  There used to be Covad as well, no idea what happened to
them.

Business service is somewhat more competitive, but also quite expensive
and spotty.  It used to cost a few kilo-dollars per month to get "metro
ethernet" to a business, and it only happened where a service provider
was already nearby, and they could justify the expense to drag the fiber
to your building from their nearest fiber run.

In Portland, the franchise agreement with the City stipulates (or did,
and I haven't heard that it changed) that Comcast will provide service
to pretty much any address.  I think that applies to everywhere covered
by the Mount Hood Cable Regulatory Commission, which I think includes
Gresham.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net