[PLUG] Configuring fc-cache search path

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Oct 3 22:13:45 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, King Beowulf wrote:

> for fontdir in 100dpi 75dpi OTF Speedo TTF Type1 cyrillic misc; do
>    /usr/bin/mkfontscale /usr/share/fonts/${fontdir}
>    /usr/bin/mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/${fontdir}
> done

   I really need to get fonts working again as I can no longer see web sites
such as LQ and I need to use them. (This all started trying to get
LibreOffice5 Writer to see the Baker Signet and Bitstream Amerigo fonts. I
removed the Speedo/, PEX/, and ISO-*/ directories in /usr/share/fonts/ as
obsolete; I know of no application that does not use TrueType, OpenFormat,
or Type1 (less, for example).

   I restored the TTF/, OTF/, TrueType/, and Type1/ directories from a backup
last April (when every web site was visible under Slackware-14.1; this font
issue appeared only last week.)

   Now I tried to run the above script piecemeal on the Type1/ directory as I
moved the Type1 fonts in local/ there, but mkfontscale segfaults:

# /usr/bin/mkfontscale Type1/
Segmentation fault

   Help is needed to get things working again. I've no idea how to diagnose
and isolate the source of these issues.