[PLUG] Printing from Virtual Box

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 18:20:18 UTC 2017

On 10/15/2017 08:13 PM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> printer's name rather than the IP.  I thought I would continue in that
> direction until I was either successful or could figure out why not.  I got
> the name of the printer from the router--it said HP69E035.  I shut off
> wireless direct.  Printing from the host still works.  I set up a new port:
> TCP/IP; gave it the same name as the printer.  I went through the install
> procedure.  Says it was successful, but it will not print.
>
> I can reach the printer's embedded web server from the host and the guest
> (10.0.0.244).  Right now I suspect the Windows Install may be the issue.  I
> will try again using the IP address rather than the name, but I am not
> optimistic.

---snip--

Since you can access the printe'rs embedded web config page from the
guest, via http://10.0.0.244, then you are done with connectivity
issues. Done, I say.  Any print issues are now:
(a) misconfigured Win2K print port
(b) wrong printer driver
(c) printer not configured correctly
(d) something missing in the win2k installation

I posted earlier a HOW-TO to set a network printer.  REMEMBER: you set
it up manually as though it is a local printer - NOT as a network
printer. Be aware that for IP ports on HP printers, port 1 is TCP port
9100 (for Jetdirect printer servers but in this case the printer is its
own printer server).  Make sure port 9100 is accessible on the network.

If I still had a win2K VM image I could work out a few more details, but
even I upgrade old stiff after a decade or so ;-)

-Ed