[PLUG] xsane-gimp (?)

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 20:15:35 UTC 2017

On 10/16/2017 08:49 PM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I had trouble connecting from xsane to a Fujitsu IX-500
> scanner on my wife's SL7.2 office desktop.  At Sunday's
> clinic (thanks folks!), she learned to install xsane on
> two laptops (one SL7.3, one Mint 18.2), and xsane worked
> fine with the scanner on both laptops.
>
> After looking for differences, I de-installed xsane-gimp
> on her desktop machine, and the scanner connected fine.
> I'm not sure why xsane-gimp was installed, or why we
> might want to scan directly into gimp someday, but for
> now we do better without it.
>
> Keith

IIRC, gimp used to have a sane plugin to scan directy into gimp.  Now,
on linux systems, you now just use xsane GUI (sane is the backend) as a
Gimp plugin by setting a symlink, for example:

ln -s /usr/bin/xsane ~/.gimp-2.8/plug-ins/

When you run Gimp, the File - Create menu should now have one or more
entries for your scanner.

If you change the scanner or other plugins, etc, you can

rm ~/.gimp*/pluginrc

and gimp will rescan for new plugins.

-Ed