[PLUG] Router configuration

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 26 16:17:20 UTC 2017

   I'm not getting the expected data transfer speeds on the fiber network.
Frontier's tech support shows the correct speeds on their network side so it
must be something here.

   The hardware on the end of the Frontier cat5 is the Netgear VFS318 router.
I find nothing in the admin pages that might throttle data transfer speeds,
but one of you experienced network admins might.

   This is the router status page:

Router Status
System Name 		FVS318
Firmware Version 	V2.3 Feb. 5 2004

WAN Port:
MAC Address 		00:09:5B:F9:0D:11
IP Address 		50.126.108.78
DHCP 	No
IP Subnet Mask 		255.255.255.252
Domain Name Server 	74.40.74.40
 		 	74.40.74.41

LAN Port:
MAC Address 	00:09:5B:F9:0D:10
IP Address 	192.168.55.4
DHCP 	No
IP Subnet Mask 	255.255.255.0

   The only port opened on the router is 25 (smtp) to allow incoming mail. I
just added port 80 (http), but that made no difference in the speedtest.net
testing; since closed.

   I've run the Netgear diagnostics and rebooted the router. No difference in
speeds.

   Are there other things here I can test to diagnose where the problem
source is located?

TIA,