[PLUG] Router configuration

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 26 17:50:04 UTC 2017

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Alexandre Bedard wrote:

> What kind of performance are you expecting? Netgear's F model numbers
> denote 100mbps devices, so if downloading a large file, the max
> theoretical speed you could get in or out is 12MB/sec, however, we've had
> a few customers that were running these devices and never went anywhere
> near those speeds, even on faster profiles with business cable internet,
> until we replaced their routers with more modern models.

Alexandre,

   My fiber service is 15/5; 15Mbits/sec down and 5Mbits/sec up. That's well
weithin the 100Mbits/sec and 12MB (since it's only about 1.9MB) you show as
limits.

> I'd recommend configuring the static IP information on a computer/laptop
> and doing a speedtest with the computer connected directly to the modem to
> ensure you are getting the "advertised" speed you should be getting on
> your plan, I would expect you to get the results you are looking for...

   Tried this while the Frontier tech was on the phone. Modified a laptop's
eth0 port for Frontier's static IP address, subnet mask, and gateway; their
DNS severs are in /etc/resolv.conf on that and the desktop. Could not load
any web page connected directly to the fiber.