[PLUG] Router configuration

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 26 18:06:11 UTC 2017

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Alexandre Bedard wrote:

> What kind of performance are you expecting? Netgear's F model numbers denote
> 100mbps devices, so if downloading a large file, the max theoretical speed
> you could get in or out is 12MB/sec

Alexandre/Dan:

   I'm reading conflicting information. You write that the FVS-318 is capable
of handling 100mbps (which is what the installation tech told me) while Dan
writes, "SmallNetBuilder's review of it from 2002 shows its maximum upload
and download throughput as about 7 mbps:
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-reviews/24591-netgearprosafevpnfirewallreview?showall=&start=6

   If you're getting within 1-2 mbps of 7 mbps download speeds, then you're
basically at the limit of your router's capabilities."

   Do I use the wrt54g with firmware from 2006 or buy something new
(ethernet, not wireless)?