[PLUG] Suggestions for featherweight laptop

Dave Lien - W7DAL W7DAL at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 15:46:36 UTC 2017

Thanks for the suggestions, Tom. I'll check them out.

Should have mentioned I'm looking for something under 3 lbs and abt $200
or less. Nothing fancy needed for this non-critical app. There seem to
be lots of Chromebooks in that category but I'm led to believe Linux
doesn't work well on those without an Intel CPU. Is that true in your
experience?

Looks like the days of the Serial port on portables are pretty well
gone. Began downhill when they moved the external modem inside I
suppose. :-D. But pure Serial is hard to beat for rock solid external
hardware control without the vagaries and idiosyncrasies of dongles,
multiple conversions, and drivers. I never buy a desktop mobo without at
least one on the board.

TNX AGN for the help.

-Dave