[PLUG] Suggestions for featherweight laptop

Dave Lien - W7DAL W7DAL at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 20:15:49 UTC 2017

Thanks, Tom. I think you found the sweet spot with the HP Stream 11. No
problem here giving up dual-boot. I'd rather have a good dedicated
inexpensive lightweight RELIABLE Linux portable that has current
hardware and will be good for a few years.

If you have had a good experience with the HP Stream 11 as a dedicated
no-hassle Linux machine I'm tempted to go with it. WalMart has them from
~$135 as does NewEgg for refurbs. What specific model have you had good
luck with? I see there are many variations at different prices...?

Any model to avoid?

I presume it will boot USB and external USB DVD drive.

And finally, is there any magic I need to know about when installing
MINT and overwriting Windows and other crapware? I see some people have
had problems installing MINT. (But I'll settle for any decent version of
Linux.)

-Dave