[PLUG] Troubleshooting ssh

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Sep 5 15:39:47 UTC 2017

   Trying to get ssh working between a laptop (typha) and the server (salmo).

SSH port numbers match.

'netstat -part' on the server shows ssh listening on the correct port number.

Target host (server) is in client (typha) /etc/hosts:
192.168.55.1	salmo ...

'ssh -vv salmo' shows 'resolving salmo port nnnnn' (correct number)
ssh: count not connect to host salmo:: Name or service not known'

Same result with 'ssh -vv 192.168.55.1'.

   Web searches find many hits but all point to solutions which are described
above.

   I'm out of ideas of what to test so I can fix this issue, and seek advice
from experienced network admins.