[PLUG] Wireless ISP

Michael Barnes barnmichael at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:58:11 UTC 2017

Not exactly Linux related, but I need local advice. I have a location down
river, up in the hills behind the Deer Island/Goble area that needs decent
Internet access. We have gone round and round with the DSL provider up
there with terrible results. We have also tried a couple satellite
providers with unsatisfactory service. We do have a good view of the Kalama
area and the hills above it in Washington. We might have to put up a tower
of about 20 feet or so to shoot above the trees. We have a fair view of the
former Trojan power plant site.

The only wireless ISP I can find over there is Cascade Networks. They say
in their advertising that they cover up and down the Oregon side from St.
Helens to Rainier. I have seen some reviews of their service. They either
run 5+ or <1. Some customers really love them and sing their praises, while
others want them tarred, feathered, and run out of town on a rail. At this
point, I'd even consider finding a business in the Kalama area that has a
really fat pipe of Enterprise Metro Ethernet, sub-lease some bandwidth, and
put up some dishes and Ubiquity bullets to shoot across the river.

Suggestions, comments, and recommendations appreciated.

Michael